1861 - 1872


By dhowell - Posted on 02 January 2008

July, 1861. Motion was made that sidewalks be constructed of pine at $15 a thousand . . . Gleason's slaughter house on Beaufort street was tagged as a nuisance . . . M. D. Case made a motion to appropriate funds to repair fence around the old cemetery . . . 151 voted in the village election in 1868 and councilmen were fined 25¢ for non attendance at meetings without good reasons . . . The contract for building the bridge across the river near the Brewery went to C. H. Lewis for $385.

November, 1870. L. D. Watkins erected a building on the corner of Jackson and Union Street near the depot 24 x 80 feet and two stories high. The shop was built for 12 workmen and 4,000 barrels. Capacity output was 1000 barrels a week.

March 3, 1870. Manchester organized a hook and ladder company in the event of fires. The name of the organization was "Neptune." Orin Watt was elected foreman.

October, 1871. Council appointed two night firewatchers and approved buying water pails for fire buckets.

August 8, 1872. The weather was very hot and the cows were having all the street room they wanted. Three teams were drawing straw for the new Reynolds and Unterkircher paper mill. Council approved building a side walk 5 ft. wide of 2" pine planks on oak stringers on the east side of Beaufort street ... Water was so low factories and mills were operating only half time . . . Mack, Schmid & Co. put in a new burglar and fire proof safe in their German American Bank . . . Van Duyn, Lynch & Co. had a full line of school books. The band stand was built and the music was "high toned."

September 5, 1872. The annual school meeting was held at the Union School. Those who do the most grumbling and growling about taxes staying away, instead of coming and by their vote and influence trying to lessen the expense. At an earlier meeting July 8 a site was located for a Ward School in the Lyons District and the sum of $200 was voted for building the ward school.

December 5, 1872. Potatoes were 80¢ a bushel . . . hams 17¢ and shoulders 9¢ . . . Lard was 8.5¢ a pound ... Dried beef was 18¢ a pound ... and bacon 10¢ lb.

November, 1872. The friends of Prof. Fowler met at the Free Will Baptist church at Iron Creek for a donation visit on the evening of October 28. The social interview and the skillfully prepared "fixings" were such as to render the occasion pleasant to all concerned. The cash donations to the pastor amounted to $50.

Personal—The person who took the buffalo robe from a certain buggy, and left another marked "Ide" in its place, on Saturday evening will please return same to this office and get theirs ... Mike Howard paid us a visit last Wednesday and is looking well and hearty. He reports this is a pleasant season on the lakes. His vessel is at Trenton discharging railroad iron.

Jewelry Gone Down—G. A. Fausel has moved his stock of jewelry, clocks, etc. from the Bakery Building down Exchange Place to the Union Hall block where he has more room. He expects a large shipment in next week.

Horse Epidemic—All of Walt and Farrell's livery horses are down with the disease and many of the farmers are afraid that their horses will catch it. It is doubtful for the weather is now dry and the temperature is better.

Election Returns—Can't be published for the county because of conflicting figures.

Found—In this village a nice sash ribbon. The owner can have same by proving property and paying for ad ... The woman who blew down the kerosene lamp chimney to extinguish the light will never do so again . . . The boys are careless with their bows and arrows while shooting at doves on the streets. Look out for your eyes ... The wheat market at this village is very active ... Jacob Huber of Freedom has purchased the B. F. Sutton farm for $15,460 . . .

November, 1872. W. H. Lewis, proprieter of the Goodyear House will soon open an oyster room in the basement of the hotel and there will be service in first class style ... A skating rink is being prepared near the Goodyear House . . . Mack and Schmid have received a large stock of winter goods.

November 24, 1872. Several churches will hold Union Service at the Methodist House on Thursday, Thanksgiving Day, November 28 at the usual hour with Rev. J. M. Tatterington officiating . . . The bird's eye view of the village of Manchester sketched by and engraved for E. S. Glover is complete and he will be here to deliver them in a few days ... T. Morgan & Co. are ready to take in apples at the storehouse at East Manchester, if the weather is favorable . . .

November 28, 1872. G. W. Fowle and Cub. Berdan will give one of their dancing parties at Goodyear Hall on Christmas. Cards of invitation will be issued soon. Prof. Fowle has organized a class of dance and those wishing to attend are requested to meet at Goodyear Hall.

Southern Washtenaw Mill was across the road from the Union Hall (now Union Bank Building).