1873


By dhowell - Posted on 02 January 2008

February 5, 1873. The Goodyear house has been sold to Coon and Burch but Mr. Lewis will remain in charge . . . Farmers complained that the snow was drifted to 15 ft. deep on the north and south roads last week . . . The bird's eye view of Manchester and other photographs were sent to Vienna, Austria, to be placed on exhibit at the World's Fair in the summer ... People complained about trains standing at the depots and obstructing the wagon roads, causing some to wait as much as a half hour. "If we had a marshal that was worth a chew of tobacco, this could be avoided." . . . J. S. Case was appointed deputy sheriff by sheriff Fleming . . . Citizens signed a petition requesting Council to purchase a number of street lamps like the one at Goodyear House. Council agreed to have one placed on Ann Arbor Street, at the railroad crossing and another at Exchange Place bridge. Council has been approached to buy some Babcock Fire Extinguishers—or some other means for putting out fires.

February 13, 1873. About 150 cords of ice were harvested during the winter... J. R. Holmes oi Manchester township sold five trees, four black walnuts and one cherry for $300 from his farm in Riley, Clinton Co. He had sold 160 acres of land for which he paid $1208, three years ago. He was offered that amount for 18 trees ... Henry Younghans is preparing to do carriage trimming, upholstering, paperhanging, carpet laying etc. on short notice in the very best style and at reasonable prices. Give him a call at the Farmers Hotel or at his shop in the Hendershot's building... Good and Dr. Conklin have purchased the Goodyear Hall Block for which they paid $14,000. They have not disclosed what they will use it for but presumably a hotel.

March 6, 1873. The street lights are a fine thing . . . D. B. Sherwood is starting a weekly in Saline . . . The village treasury has a balance of $329.53. . . . John Miller has maple sugar ... Emerson Annabil sold 122 acres in Sharon to W. B. Osborne for $50 . . . Workmen are cutting the ice around the piles at the Railroad bridge . . . Fausel has a new engraving machine. Sleighs continue to come to town. Its "which and tother" between sleighing and wheeling...

March 13. 1873. Don't think that because so many are desirous of selling out that business has "played out" in this village. The truth is some of the would be sellers are played out." John Miller, a veteran in the grocery business, says he learned the value of advertising long ago.

March 20, 1873. Announcement was made that Porter & Jaynes had liabilities which totaled more than $15,000. This came as a shock to the entire community.

From the Files:

October 2, 1873. The Riverside Medicinal Springs hotel and water and air baths were reopened with J. D. Kief proprietor and J. D. Field the Superintendent ... Demand was great for bricks-far more than supply ... John Baur sold his brewery to two men from Indiana

October 9, 1873. L. D. Watkins' celebrated horse attracted attention at the Ann Arbor Fair . . . The Peoples Bank sustained no losses in the great financial panic. The bank was short of money-but that was general and depositors showed every confidence in the bank.

The Manchester Bakery as it looked in 1880 and owned by Nate Schmid & Co. The third story was removed later.

October 16, 1873. William Kirchgessner opened his new store (brick). The front part is the store for the bakery and confectionery and the back room is devoted to refreshments and a lunch room. This is one of the most complete establishments in the state. The second and third story are for his home. The lunch room specializes in serving oysters in many styles . . . Publisher Mat Blosser takes a day out to visit B. G. English in "their beautiful new home on 160 acres. The house had been built two years earlier by S. C. Ruckman and cost $2500. The editor and Mr. English spent the afternoon picking up hickory nuts.

October 23, 1873. Sherwood & Co. sold water privileges to the James Reynolds in East Manchester. Reynolds is putting in a steam engine ... Straw is so scarce in this vicinity that people are unable to secure enough to fill their beds ... The Planing Mills of Field, Blosser & Co. are doing a good business . . . Fire at 9 p.m. October 22 destroyed the Shoddy Mills of Jaynes and Dawes. The building was destroyed. Value was $2,500. Plans are already under way to open for business in the Woolen factory in Manchester. Mattresses sell for $12 ... Field and Kirchgessner were named by council to build a new fence around the old cemetery.

November 6, 1873. The post office was to be moved from railroad street to the Union Hall block which was the west store on Exchange Place.

November 20, 1873. The Banner store advertised a new supply of paisley shawls . . . The Enterprise sponsored a fair for the community and gave prizes for top grains, butter, ducks, squash, apples, etc.