1874


By dhowell - Posted on 02 January 2008

From the files:

Main Street in 1867.

January 8, 1874. Street Lamps—Our city fathers got "bit" when they bought the street lights but we can't see why they should give up all desire to light the streets by some other method. These are only a mark for the reckless urchin's snowball. We think a kerosene lamp, well trimmed, would shed sufficient light. Adrian has kerosene instead of gas. They like it. We know our citizens will join us in saying "let there be light."

January 22, 1874. The Union Livery stable was sold by Orrin Wait to Thomas J. Farrell.

March 26, 1874. The Banner store of Mack & Schmid has the largest stock ever bought for this market . . . W. H. Pottle left on a buying trip to New York and Boston . . . Warren Kimble, who has agricultural implements, plows, rakes, grain drills, windmills, plaster, etc. now puts a delivery wagon on the street. Leave orders for the dray at the corn exchange.

April 15, 1874. Munson Goodyear agreed to furnish council room for 1 year for $30. Mat Blosser agreed to print council proceedings for 1 year for $40 and Otto Munch furnished desk for recorder for $17.

April 16, 1874. Sam Kirchhofer is the agent for European tickets. Send a ticket to a relative or friend to come to Manchester. Tickets from Glasgow, Londonderry, Hamburg, and London to Manchester, Michigan are now reduced to $37.00 and are good for one year . . . The Banner store is advertising 20,000 yards of ribbon (values from 50¢ to $1.50 per yard) at 25¢... Doty's Variety Store is selling wall paper, window shades, hats, boots, shoes, drugs and patent medicine . . . The Union Hall (Men's Clothing Store) has a sale on men's boots and shoes. H. Munch is the owner. .

April 3, 1874. Following is the list of saloons in Manchester: Conrad Lehn, Kirchgessner's Bakery, Charley Gwinner's, Michael Dailey's, Conrad Nauman, John Walz and Mrs. Traub who sold only wine and beer.

June 4, 1874. H. Barnum & Co. Circus was in town and at that time five elephants went "frolicing" in the Raisin River . . . Banner store was moved to the Capt. Clarkson Building on the west side of the river—owned by Mack & Schmid.

August 5, 1874. Council talked of special election on August 17 to allow Council to loan $1000 for fire protection. February 24, 1876 Council appropriated $493.50 for half payment of a fire truck.

August 6, 1874. Fire destroyed the flouring and paper mill at East Manchester which belonged to James S. Reynolds. Value $60,000. George L. Unterkircher was associated with Reynolds in the mill. The building carried $28,000 insurance. Both mills were planning to open September 1. Cause of fire unknown.

August 13, 1874. Well drillers were busy putting down a well on the Catholic Church property.

August 2, 1874. New Lutheran Church 3 miles east of Pleasant Lake was dedicated with guests including Rev. John Bauman of Rogers Corners and Rev. S. Klingman of Scio was named pastor of the 46 x 32 ft. white frame church. The bell tower was 70 ft. high with a new bell which tipped the scales to 1415 pounds and cost $443.85. Inside of the church is pine and black walnut. Cost of building $4,000.

August 20, 1874. The Union School will open August 31, 1874 without the help of a superintendent or principal. "it has a petticoat government like England and we shall see if school can be sustained -many claim it will be no worse than it has been in the past two years.

August 20, 1874. The Enterprise reprints from the Ann Arbor Courier "We would advise the newspaper pirate of the Chelsea Herald to throw his $8 scissors out the window, buy a 2¢ pencil and write his own locals—or send copies of the Courier to his subscribers—so they wouldn't get news second handed." That's right, give him thunder! We furnished him locals for over 3 years and only stopped it by cutting him off the exchange list. Such gobblers are a disgrace to a third rate justice office.

September 10, 1874. W. S. Carr & Son are busy putting in one of Bidwell's patent fruit dryers in the Cider Mill on Jackson Street (now the Carr Park Area). This mode of preserving fruit is similar to the Alden Process and fruit put up this way is superior. Forty bushels of apples can be dried in 12 hours. There is a paring room where machines remove skins, cores and slices the apples. They are placed on frames, covered with netting. The dryers are 6 x 10 feet and 3 ft. high with fire box and hot air chamber. The apples are heated to 200 degrees.

From the files.

September 10, 1874. John and Fred Schaible burned their first kiln of brick on June 24, 1874. They are busy drawing bricks to be used in the construction of the new home of A. T. Bruegel on Jefferson Street . . . Albert Case has an apple tree loaded with apples and some of the lower branches have blossoms ... Loads of hop pickers leave town every morning for the hop yards just west of the village. The people seem to have a jolly time and laugh and sing . . . Conklin is selling ice from his ice house. This ice is 4 years old and clear as crystal.

September 24, 1874. Joseph Gordonier has opened a blacksmith shop in the old P. C. Vreeland shop.

October 8, 1874. The Enterprise bought from Chicago the largest stock of paper ever bought by a country printing house in the state.

October 22, 1874. Jacob Brown near Pleasant Lake Freedom township had 10 acres of orchard. He harvested 195 barrels of Greenings and Baldwins which he sold. He keeps 100 bushels and gave away a hundred bushels. He plans to make 60 barrels of cider. Charles Vogel also has a nice orchard which was set out by Henry Goodyear. Apples sell at $1.50 to $1.75 a barrel.

November 19, 1874. A large black bear was seen in the village of Dexter last week . . . Neebling is busy manufacturing carriages and sleighs
... On November 12 Mr. Oversmith of Sharon built a fire to warm the hands of the corn huskers. It burned out of control over a large area and reportedly burned down 4 feet into the ground. Trees and rail fences toppled.