1875 - 1884


By dhowell - Posted on 02 January 2008

April 1, 1875. Great flocks of pigeons are winging their way north and pass over the village. They will spend the summer in the north woods where they roost unmolested by the acre.

April 8, 1875. At Manchester there was no dam by a mill site and at East Manchester there is no mill by a dam site
... Van Duyn and Calhoun were busy making perfume and toilet articles.

June 3, 1875. A large number of farmers and people in the village are helping to rebuild the dam for the Southern Washtenaw Mills.

August 5, 1875. George Haeussler came to town to look over the possibility of location of a drug business. He had been working in Ann Arbor for five years.

August 19, 1875. One of the subscribers to the paper asked to have her hay fever remedy printed:

1 grain of sulphate of quinine to which is added 1 ounce of water. Apply to nostrils with camel hair brush. Two or three applications may be necessary to relieve patient.

September 23, 1875. A dozen buildings have been shingled in Sharon Hollow and a new house built. There are also new roofs on the blacksmith shop and sawmill. Squire Kappler intends to put a new roof on the school by fall.

May 17, 1879. Council voted to pay village attorney $25 a year for services. On May 21 voted to pay $1.10 per day for labor on streets.

April 19, 1880. Council ordered 60 shade trees to be set out on public square.

June 16, 1880. Street committee leased land and barn situated on the northeast corner of block 40 and council ordered a fence be put around it for the village pound to encase all cows, horses, mules, sheep, swine and geese running at large on streets. Village marshall had previously been ordering residents to keep animals off the streets but the warnings were not heeded.

September, 1881. Louis Koebbe threshed 100 bushels of wheat in 70 minutes with horse power. Youngsters were planning nutting expeditions.. . The sidewalk in front of Haeussler's store was being repaired . . . The Methodists were planning a picnic at Short's Grove in Bridgewater
... James McMahon reaped 573 bushels of wheat from 32 acres
... W. H. Pottle had laid a new sidewalk in front of his store and making it on the grade level with other walks. He removed the step that had been a resting place for many of the village's tired individuals ... L. D. Watkins was expected home from a trip to Europe ... WORMS: At Sharon, in the vicinity of the church and town hall residents were excited about the appearance of a dangerous looking worm in alarming quantities.

The worms were first discovered in two fields adjoining and east of the townhall. These fields were covered with a rank growth of purslain (more commonly called pusley) and the worms were feeding on it. Every inch was covered and in some places they were two and three inches thick. It was estimated that there would be 1,000 bushels on 20 acres. This was the army worms first invasion.

October 13, 1881. S. W. Dorr won a pair of men's slippers for the best apples at the county fair. Squire Kappler will rebuild his hop house which burned early this past spring.

December 24, 1881. The props under the floor at the Emanuel (Lutheran) Church gave way and let the floor drop but no one was injured.

August 17, 1882. Conrad Lehn built a new porch and awning at the rear of his brick block and William Kirchgessner built a large portico on the new bakery building. This will be convenient on wash day. At this time in 1967, D. E. Limpert owns the three buildings on the south side of Main Street next to Widmayer Hardware down to the Sportsman Tavern which is owned by Wm. Bross. Mr. Limpert has cleaned up the rear of the buildings, removed old sheds and made an extensive parking area and enhanced the rear of the old brick buildings which he has completely remodeled for apartments and offices. Wrought iron railings and a New Orleans decor has been used to revamp the exterior and gay flower beds add a cheerful note.

October 5, 1882. Walbridge and Dealy ordered cornices for their buildings and the two-story Kimble block was completed.

February 14, 1883. The volunteer fire department was organized and the new fire engine had its trial run. That was the time that the Saline Observer was backing the manufacture of the Gross Brothers Star Windmill and reported that a $2000 capital was needed.

February 14, 1883. The village bought hand fire extinguishers, hose cart, ladder truck with attachments for the volunteer department and the fire apparatus was to be stored at Eugene Schwindle's place on railroad street for $100 a year.

March 29, 1883. Twenty-five sheep breeders met in Manchester from Lenawee, Jackson and Washtenaw County at the Peoples Bank and organized the Southern Michigan Sheep Breeders Association. C. C. Dorr of Sharon was the director, along with J. M. Moore, Manchester, and J. M. Horning of Norvell. President was James Kress of Bridgewater, vice president, Henry Calhoun, of Bridgewater, secretary, Charles Fellows of Sharon and treasurer, Thomas Van Gieson,of Bridgewater.

April 5, 1883. Manchester Township offered a bounty of 15¢ for every woodchuck scalp.

April 12, 1883. C. W. Case sold his beautiful residence on Jackson Street to Douglas Baldwin and plans to build another house in the spring... Some cheeky individuals are taking owners horses from the Baptist Church sheds in the evenings and placing their own there. The Baptists will repair the sheds and enclose the stalls... Scarcely had the doors of the old store of Colwell & Son been locked when Gillam and Steinkohl of Lansing were leasing the building for a drug store.

April, 1884. The marshal's salary was set at $400 a year and he was to take care of the fire apparatus and street lights, make arrests and turn over all fees to village treasurer and attend all council meetings.