Council Notes


By dhowell - Posted on 02 January 2008

May 13, 1908. Council approved the building of a dam and flume for the village electric light station. The village was instructed to purchase 50 electric light poles and wire.

August 15, 1908. Council approved selling to Lonier and Hoffer gravel from the village pit for use in the construction of their dam on Exchange Place location. They charged 10¢ a load for gravel.

October 21, 1908. Council voted to have the electric light plant in operation on an all night basis beginning Nov. 1, 1908. At the same time council approved having all porch lights free with the installation costs paid by the consumer. John H. Mahoney was appointed at a dollar a day to help L. R. Hatch at the electric light plant, who was paid $75 a month.

April 6, 1910. Mr. Johnson was permitted to use the old watering trough on Exchange Place for a flower bed.

April 20, 1910. The wages of day laborers was raised from $1.50 to $1.75 a day.

November 2, 1910. Discussed the opening of the alley at the Handle factory.

November 16, 1910. Council approved the sale of the Mill Building at the Electric Light plant to Adam J. Wurster for $136. It was to be removed by April 1, 1911. It was moved to the curve on Riverside Drive where the Paul Ernst home stands. At one time it was owned by G. H. Breitenwischer as a barn for his horse.

The water tower in 1913 on Ann Arbor hill. Note plank sidewalks.

February 21, 1912. Council discussed the possibility of bonding the village for a water works system.

March 14, 1912. Village election results were tabulated by the council on the proposition of bonding the village for $27,000 to be used for the constructing and installing of water works. The vote was 229 for the bond issue and 88 against it.

April 17, 1912. B. A. Tracy, chairman of the stand pipe committee reported that Adam Wurster would sell a parcel of land on Ann Arbor Hill (v shape) with 2 rods fronting on Ann Arbor Street and running back about 18 rods for $500. Council gave a contract to George Wurster to drill the well for the village water supply at the Electric Light Plant at $3.00 a foot.

June 19, 1912. Council deemed it unlawful to park a vehicle on Exchange Place between Water Street and Clinton Street for longer than a 10-minute period.

July 6, 1912. Council approved paying $355 for a cover for the stand pipe.

October 18, 1912. Council approved purchasing an engine for $1,800 for the water works.

March 13, 1913. The voters turned down the proposal of John B. Cole and William E. Stipe for a gas franchise for the village.