Four: Hits and Misses from the Files of the Enterprise and Village Council

(This chapter division has been created for online presentation purposes and does not appear in the original.)

1861 - 1872

July, 1861. Motion was made that sidewalks be constructed of pine at $15 a thousand . . . Gleason's slaughter house on Beaufort street was tagged as a nuisance . . . M. D. Case made a motion to appropriate funds to repair fence around the old cemetery . . . 151 voted in the village election in 1868 and councilmen were fined 25¢ for non attendance at meetings without good reasons . . . The contract for building the bridge across the river near the Brewery went to C. H. Lewis for $385.

November, 1870. L. D. Watkins erected a building on the corner of Jackson and Union Street near the depot 24 x 80 feet and two stories high. The shop was built for 12 workmen and 4,000 barrels. Capacity output was 1000 barrels a week.

March 3, 1870. Manchester organized a hook and ladder company in the event of fires. The name of the organization was "Neptune." Orin Watt was elected foreman.

October, 1871. Council appointed two night firewatchers and approved buying water pails for fire buckets.

August 8, 1872. The weather was very hot and the cows were having all the street room they wanted. Three teams were drawing straw for the new Reynolds and Unterkircher paper mill. Council approved building a side walk 5 ft. wide of 2" pine planks on oak stringers on the east side of Beaufort street ... Water was so low factories and mills were operating only half time . . . Mack, Schmid & Co. put in a new burglar and fire proof safe in their German American Bank . . . Van Duyn, Lynch & Co. had a full line of school books. The band stand was built and the music was "high toned."

September 5, 1872. The annual school meeting was held at the Union School. Those who do the most grumbling and growling about taxes staying away, instead of coming and by their vote and influence trying to lessen the expense. At an earlier meeting July 8 a site was located for a Ward School in the Lyons District and the sum of $200 was voted for building the ward school.

December 5, 1872. Potatoes were 80¢ a bushel . . . hams 17¢ and shoulders 9¢ . . . Lard was 8.5¢ a pound ... Dried beef was 18¢ a pound ... and bacon 10¢ lb.

November, 1872. The friends of Prof. Fowler met at the Free Will Baptist church at Iron Creek for a donation visit on the evening of October 28. The social interview and the skillfully prepared "fixings" were such as to render the occasion pleasant to all concerned. The cash donations to the pastor amounted to $50.

Personal—The person who took the buffalo robe from a certain buggy, and left another marked "Ide" in its place, on Saturday evening will please return same to this office and get theirs ... Mike Howard paid us a visit last Wednesday and is looking well and hearty. He reports this is a pleasant season on the lakes. His vessel is at Trenton discharging railroad iron.

Jewelry Gone Down—G. A. Fausel has moved his stock of jewelry, clocks, etc. from the Bakery Building down Exchange Place to the Union Hall block where he has more room. He expects a large shipment in next week.

Horse Epidemic—All of Walt and Farrell's livery horses are down with the disease and many of the farmers are afraid that their horses will catch it. It is doubtful for the weather is now dry and the temperature is better.

Election Returns—Can't be published for the county because of conflicting figures.

Found—In this village a nice sash ribbon. The owner can have same by proving property and paying for ad ... The woman who blew down the kerosene lamp chimney to extinguish the light will never do so again . . . The boys are careless with their bows and arrows while shooting at doves on the streets. Look out for your eyes ... The wheat market at this village is very active ... Jacob Huber of Freedom has purchased the B. F. Sutton farm for $15,460 . . .

November, 1872. W. H. Lewis, proprieter of the Goodyear House will soon open an oyster room in the basement of the hotel and there will be service in first class style ... A skating rink is being prepared near the Goodyear House . . . Mack and Schmid have received a large stock of winter goods.

November 24, 1872. Several churches will hold Union Service at the Methodist House on Thursday, Thanksgiving Day, November 28 at the usual hour with Rev. J. M. Tatterington officiating . . . The bird's eye view of the village of Manchester sketched by and engraved for E. S. Glover is complete and he will be here to deliver them in a few days ... T. Morgan & Co. are ready to take in apples at the storehouse at East Manchester, if the weather is favorable . . .

November 28, 1872. G. W. Fowle and Cub. Berdan will give one of their dancing parties at Goodyear Hall on Christmas. Cards of invitation will be issued soon. Prof. Fowle has organized a class of dance and those wishing to attend are requested to meet at Goodyear Hall.

Southern Washtenaw Mill was across the road from the Union Hall (now Union Bank Building).

1873

February 5, 1873. The Goodyear house has been sold to Coon and Burch but Mr. Lewis will remain in charge . . . Farmers complained that the snow was drifted to 15 ft. deep on the north and south roads last week . . . The bird's eye view of Manchester and other photographs were sent to Vienna, Austria, to be placed on exhibit at the World's Fair in the summer ... People complained about trains standing at the depots and obstructing the wagon roads, causing some to wait as much as a half hour. "If we had a marshal that was worth a chew of tobacco, this could be avoided." . . . J. S. Case was appointed deputy sheriff by sheriff Fleming . . . Citizens signed a petition requesting Council to purchase a number of street lamps like the one at Goodyear House. Council agreed to have one placed on Ann Arbor Street, at the railroad crossing and another at Exchange Place bridge. Council has been approached to buy some Babcock Fire Extinguishers—or some other means for putting out fires.

February 13, 1873. About 150 cords of ice were harvested during the winter... J. R. Holmes oi Manchester township sold five trees, four black walnuts and one cherry for $300 from his farm in Riley, Clinton Co. He had sold 160 acres of land for which he paid $1208, three years ago. He was offered that amount for 18 trees ... Henry Younghans is preparing to do carriage trimming, upholstering, paperhanging, carpet laying etc. on short notice in the very best style and at reasonable prices. Give him a call at the Farmers Hotel or at his shop in the Hendershot's building... Good and Dr. Conklin have purchased the Goodyear Hall Block for which they paid $14,000. They have not disclosed what they will use it for but presumably a hotel.

March 6, 1873. The street lights are a fine thing . . . D. B. Sherwood is starting a weekly in Saline . . . The village treasury has a balance of $329.53. . . . John Miller has maple sugar ... Emerson Annabil sold 122 acres in Sharon to W. B. Osborne for $50 . . . Workmen are cutting the ice around the piles at the Railroad bridge . . . Fausel has a new engraving machine. Sleighs continue to come to town. Its "which and tother" between sleighing and wheeling...

March 13. 1873. Don't think that because so many are desirous of selling out that business has "played out" in this village. The truth is some of the would be sellers are played out." John Miller, a veteran in the grocery business, says he learned the value of advertising long ago.

March 20, 1873. Announcement was made that Porter & Jaynes had liabilities which totaled more than $15,000. This came as a shock to the entire community.

From the Files:

October 2, 1873. The Riverside Medicinal Springs hotel and water and air baths were reopened with J. D. Kief proprietor and J. D. Field the Superintendent ... Demand was great for bricks-far more than supply ... John Baur sold his brewery to two men from Indiana

October 9, 1873. L. D. Watkins' celebrated horse attracted attention at the Ann Arbor Fair . . . The Peoples Bank sustained no losses in the great financial panic. The bank was short of money-but that was general and depositors showed every confidence in the bank.

The Manchester Bakery as it looked in 1880 and owned by Nate Schmid & Co. The third story was removed later.

October 16, 1873. William Kirchgessner opened his new store (brick). The front part is the store for the bakery and confectionery and the back room is devoted to refreshments and a lunch room. This is one of the most complete establishments in the state. The second and third story are for his home. The lunch room specializes in serving oysters in many styles . . . Publisher Mat Blosser takes a day out to visit B. G. English in "their beautiful new home on 160 acres. The house had been built two years earlier by S. C. Ruckman and cost $2500. The editor and Mr. English spent the afternoon picking up hickory nuts.

October 23, 1873. Sherwood & Co. sold water privileges to the James Reynolds in East Manchester. Reynolds is putting in a steam engine ... Straw is so scarce in this vicinity that people are unable to secure enough to fill their beds ... The Planing Mills of Field, Blosser & Co. are doing a good business . . . Fire at 9 p.m. October 22 destroyed the Shoddy Mills of Jaynes and Dawes. The building was destroyed. Value was $2,500. Plans are already under way to open for business in the Woolen factory in Manchester. Mattresses sell for $12 ... Field and Kirchgessner were named by council to build a new fence around the old cemetery.

November 6, 1873. The post office was to be moved from railroad street to the Union Hall block which was the west store on Exchange Place.

November 20, 1873. The Banner store advertised a new supply of paisley shawls . . . The Enterprise sponsored a fair for the community and gave prizes for top grains, butter, ducks, squash, apples, etc.

1874

From the files:

Main Street in 1867.

January 8, 1874. Street Lamps—Our city fathers got "bit" when they bought the street lights but we can't see why they should give up all desire to light the streets by some other method. These are only a mark for the reckless urchin's snowball. We think a kerosene lamp, well trimmed, would shed sufficient light. Adrian has kerosene instead of gas. They like it. We know our citizens will join us in saying "let there be light."

January 22, 1874. The Union Livery stable was sold by Orrin Wait to Thomas J. Farrell.

March 26, 1874. The Banner store of Mack & Schmid has the largest stock ever bought for this market . . . W. H. Pottle left on a buying trip to New York and Boston . . . Warren Kimble, who has agricultural implements, plows, rakes, grain drills, windmills, plaster, etc. now puts a delivery wagon on the street. Leave orders for the dray at the corn exchange.

April 15, 1874. Munson Goodyear agreed to furnish council room for 1 year for $30. Mat Blosser agreed to print council proceedings for 1 year for $40 and Otto Munch furnished desk for recorder for $17.

April 16, 1874. Sam Kirchhofer is the agent for European tickets. Send a ticket to a relative or friend to come to Manchester. Tickets from Glasgow, Londonderry, Hamburg, and London to Manchester, Michigan are now reduced to $37.00 and are good for one year . . . The Banner store is advertising 20,000 yards of ribbon (values from 50¢ to $1.50 per yard) at 25¢... Doty's Variety Store is selling wall paper, window shades, hats, boots, shoes, drugs and patent medicine . . . The Union Hall (Men's Clothing Store) has a sale on men's boots and shoes. H. Munch is the owner. .

April 3, 1874. Following is the list of saloons in Manchester: Conrad Lehn, Kirchgessner's Bakery, Charley Gwinner's, Michael Dailey's, Conrad Nauman, John Walz and Mrs. Traub who sold only wine and beer.

June 4, 1874. H. Barnum & Co. Circus was in town and at that time five elephants went "frolicing" in the Raisin River . . . Banner store was moved to the Capt. Clarkson Building on the west side of the river—owned by Mack & Schmid.

August 5, 1874. Council talked of special election on August 17 to allow Council to loan $1000 for fire protection. February 24, 1876 Council appropriated $493.50 for half payment of a fire truck.

August 6, 1874. Fire destroyed the flouring and paper mill at East Manchester which belonged to James S. Reynolds. Value $60,000. George L. Unterkircher was associated with Reynolds in the mill. The building carried $28,000 insurance. Both mills were planning to open September 1. Cause of fire unknown.

August 13, 1874. Well drillers were busy putting down a well on the Catholic Church property.

August 2, 1874. New Lutheran Church 3 miles east of Pleasant Lake was dedicated with guests including Rev. John Bauman of Rogers Corners and Rev. S. Klingman of Scio was named pastor of the 46 x 32 ft. white frame church. The bell tower was 70 ft. high with a new bell which tipped the scales to 1415 pounds and cost $443.85. Inside of the church is pine and black walnut. Cost of building $4,000.

August 20, 1874. The Union School will open August 31, 1874 without the help of a superintendent or principal. "it has a petticoat government like England and we shall see if school can be sustained -many claim it will be no worse than it has been in the past two years.

August 20, 1874. The Enterprise reprints from the Ann Arbor Courier "We would advise the newspaper pirate of the Chelsea Herald to throw his $8 scissors out the window, buy a 2¢ pencil and write his own locals—or send copies of the Courier to his subscribers—so they wouldn't get news second handed." That's right, give him thunder! We furnished him locals for over 3 years and only stopped it by cutting him off the exchange list. Such gobblers are a disgrace to a third rate justice office.

September 10, 1874. W. S. Carr & Son are busy putting in one of Bidwell's patent fruit dryers in the Cider Mill on Jackson Street (now the Carr Park Area). This mode of preserving fruit is similar to the Alden Process and fruit put up this way is superior. Forty bushels of apples can be dried in 12 hours. There is a paring room where machines remove skins, cores and slices the apples. They are placed on frames, covered with netting. The dryers are 6 x 10 feet and 3 ft. high with fire box and hot air chamber. The apples are heated to 200 degrees.

From the files.

September 10, 1874. John and Fred Schaible burned their first kiln of brick on June 24, 1874. They are busy drawing bricks to be used in the construction of the new home of A. T. Bruegel on Jefferson Street . . . Albert Case has an apple tree loaded with apples and some of the lower branches have blossoms ... Loads of hop pickers leave town every morning for the hop yards just west of the village. The people seem to have a jolly time and laugh and sing . . . Conklin is selling ice from his ice house. This ice is 4 years old and clear as crystal.

September 24, 1874. Joseph Gordonier has opened a blacksmith shop in the old P. C. Vreeland shop.

October 8, 1874. The Enterprise bought from Chicago the largest stock of paper ever bought by a country printing house in the state.

October 22, 1874. Jacob Brown near Pleasant Lake Freedom township had 10 acres of orchard. He harvested 195 barrels of Greenings and Baldwins which he sold. He keeps 100 bushels and gave away a hundred bushels. He plans to make 60 barrels of cider. Charles Vogel also has a nice orchard which was set out by Henry Goodyear. Apples sell at $1.50 to $1.75 a barrel.

November 19, 1874. A large black bear was seen in the village of Dexter last week . . . Neebling is busy manufacturing carriages and sleighs
... On November 12 Mr. Oversmith of Sharon built a fire to warm the hands of the corn huskers. It burned out of control over a large area and reportedly burned down 4 feet into the ground. Trees and rail fences toppled.

1875 - 1884

April 1, 1875. Great flocks of pigeons are winging their way north and pass over the village. They will spend the summer in the north woods where they roost unmolested by the acre.

April 8, 1875. At Manchester there was no dam by a mill site and at East Manchester there is no mill by a dam site
... Van Duyn and Calhoun were busy making perfume and toilet articles.

June 3, 1875. A large number of farmers and people in the village are helping to rebuild the dam for the Southern Washtenaw Mills.

August 5, 1875. George Haeussler came to town to look over the possibility of location of a drug business. He had been working in Ann Arbor for five years.

August 19, 1875. One of the subscribers to the paper asked to have her hay fever remedy printed:

1 grain of sulphate of quinine to which is added 1 ounce of water. Apply to nostrils with camel hair brush. Two or three applications may be necessary to relieve patient.

September 23, 1875. A dozen buildings have been shingled in Sharon Hollow and a new house built. There are also new roofs on the blacksmith shop and sawmill. Squire Kappler intends to put a new roof on the school by fall.

May 17, 1879. Council voted to pay village attorney $25 a year for services. On May 21 voted to pay $1.10 per day for labor on streets.

April 19, 1880. Council ordered 60 shade trees to be set out on public square.

June 16, 1880. Street committee leased land and barn situated on the northeast corner of block 40 and council ordered a fence be put around it for the village pound to encase all cows, horses, mules, sheep, swine and geese running at large on streets. Village marshall had previously been ordering residents to keep animals off the streets but the warnings were not heeded.

September, 1881. Louis Koebbe threshed 100 bushels of wheat in 70 minutes with horse power. Youngsters were planning nutting expeditions.. . The sidewalk in front of Haeussler's store was being repaired . . . The Methodists were planning a picnic at Short's Grove in Bridgewater
... James McMahon reaped 573 bushels of wheat from 32 acres
... W. H. Pottle had laid a new sidewalk in front of his store and making it on the grade level with other walks. He removed the step that had been a resting place for many of the village's tired individuals ... L. D. Watkins was expected home from a trip to Europe ... WORMS: At Sharon, in the vicinity of the church and town hall residents were excited about the appearance of a dangerous looking worm in alarming quantities.

The worms were first discovered in two fields adjoining and east of the townhall. These fields were covered with a rank growth of purslain (more commonly called pusley) and the worms were feeding on it. Every inch was covered and in some places they were two and three inches thick. It was estimated that there would be 1,000 bushels on 20 acres. This was the army worms first invasion.

October 13, 1881. S. W. Dorr won a pair of men's slippers for the best apples at the county fair. Squire Kappler will rebuild his hop house which burned early this past spring.

December 24, 1881. The props under the floor at the Emanuel (Lutheran) Church gave way and let the floor drop but no one was injured.

August 17, 1882. Conrad Lehn built a new porch and awning at the rear of his brick block and William Kirchgessner built a large portico on the new bakery building. This will be convenient on wash day. At this time in 1967, D. E. Limpert owns the three buildings on the south side of Main Street next to Widmayer Hardware down to the Sportsman Tavern which is owned by Wm. Bross. Mr. Limpert has cleaned up the rear of the buildings, removed old sheds and made an extensive parking area and enhanced the rear of the old brick buildings which he has completely remodeled for apartments and offices. Wrought iron railings and a New Orleans decor has been used to revamp the exterior and gay flower beds add a cheerful note.

October 5, 1882. Walbridge and Dealy ordered cornices for their buildings and the two-story Kimble block was completed.

February 14, 1883. The volunteer fire department was organized and the new fire engine had its trial run. That was the time that the Saline Observer was backing the manufacture of the Gross Brothers Star Windmill and reported that a $2000 capital was needed.

February 14, 1883. The village bought hand fire extinguishers, hose cart, ladder truck with attachments for the volunteer department and the fire apparatus was to be stored at Eugene Schwindle's place on railroad street for $100 a year.

March 29, 1883. Twenty-five sheep breeders met in Manchester from Lenawee, Jackson and Washtenaw County at the Peoples Bank and organized the Southern Michigan Sheep Breeders Association. C. C. Dorr of Sharon was the director, along with J. M. Moore, Manchester, and J. M. Horning of Norvell. President was James Kress of Bridgewater, vice president, Henry Calhoun, of Bridgewater, secretary, Charles Fellows of Sharon and treasurer, Thomas Van Gieson,of Bridgewater.

April 5, 1883. Manchester Township offered a bounty of 15¢ for every woodchuck scalp.

April 12, 1883. C. W. Case sold his beautiful residence on Jackson Street to Douglas Baldwin and plans to build another house in the spring... Some cheeky individuals are taking owners horses from the Baptist Church sheds in the evenings and placing their own there. The Baptists will repair the sheds and enclose the stalls... Scarcely had the doors of the old store of Colwell & Son been locked when Gillam and Steinkohl of Lansing were leasing the building for a drug store.

April, 1884. The marshal's salary was set at $400 a year and he was to take care of the fire apparatus and street lights, make arrests and turn over all fees to village treasurer and attend all council meetings.

1886 - 1898

April 8, 1886. The roads were blocked with snow which was considered the worst of the season with some roads so drifted that they will be impassable for days. The Tuesday train on the Jackson Branch arrived here Wednesday at 7:30 a.m. On the north side of Exchange Place there was a snow drift six foot high and Davis took some pictures while the clerks were shoveling.

The big snow of April 7, 1886. In the distance right is the hotel. On the left is Rehfuse & Kapp, John Mills Grocery, Gwinner store and the old Baptist Church. Note the hitching posts and kerosene street lamps.

April 22, 1886. The city fathers talked of erecting a village hail. There was $2,500 in the treasury and a like amount was possible from the saloon tax.

May 31, 1886. A bottling works for lager beer, export beer and ale was planned for the rear of Lehr's store until better quarters could be obtained. Special bottles were ordered from Pittsburgh.

June 3, 1886. The first canopy top carriage built here has been finished by George Nisle.

September 2, 1886. George Nisle moved his building from the lot sold to the village for a council building to the corner of Exchange and Clinton St.

September 9, 1886. New Industry. Valentine and Town of Rose, New York have rented the rink and are planning to evaporate fruit by the Rose Process. The plant will run at capacity (350 bushels) day and night through February. Forty or fifty people, mostly women will work for 50 to 75¢ a day. The firm wants 40,000 bushels of apples that drop from trees (not cider apples). They are paying 10¢ a bushel.

September 23, 1886. Ground was broken Monday for the Council Chamber and the dirt is being used to raise the grade on Main Street.

October 7, 1886. People have the impression that the building on Clinton Street is to be a town hall. Others think there is to be an amusement hall in the building. Neither are correct. The village is to erect the building and pay for it out of the village treasury. It will be used for an engine house, jail, and a place to store tools belonging to the village. The second floor will be used for a council chamber, clerk's office, etc. The latter will be provided with a fire proof vault in which to keep the books and papers of the village. (At that time the council room was over Baxter's store with meetings the 1st and 3rd Mondays.)

November 11, 1886. The street sprinkler is working. Strawberry and raspberry bushes are in bloom. Fifty citizens went to council to see what to do about the new bridge. Mr. Burtless talked with the state agent of the bridge company at Charlotte and he plans to come Friday to set up the bridge.

November 18, 1886. The citizens "who pecked away" and asked questions have brought to light some valuable secrets which had been hidden. The town board had borrowed of B. G. English $2,400. The note was for 3 years. They intended to use some of the money to pay for the iron bridge but the committee made it so warm that they returned the money to English and now it is likely that our taxpayers will have the great satisfaction and pleasure of paying the whole sum by way of taxes this year. The Board acted unwisely but they intended to make it easier for the taxpayers.

November 25, 1886. The Bridge was thrown open to the public Monday and it was a great relief. Some people complained because it should have been wider—others said it was just right. All in all, we think the bridge is sufficient for our needs and will be a joy forever.

December 2, 1886. Council is asked to repair the wooden sidewalks. Many places are not safe and when covered with snow will be dangerous. The approaches at each end of the Exchange Street bridge are dangerous and the planks are slanting and slippery. Proper officers should see that they are made safe at once.

April 28, 1887. The Bottling works has been sold by W. H. Lehr to Wurster Brothers and will be moved to the Southern Brewery where John Koch will set up the machinery and Wurster will do the business.

May 5, 1887. Cows are beginning to roam the street and council will have to take action as the boys who herd the cows are saucy and they, and the cows, should be off the streets.

July 21, 1887. The little building on the corner of Exchange Place and Clinton Street used by George Nisle as a trimming shop has been moved to the rear of the Gwinner Block. Reichert intends to move the building in which Nisle lives to the corner lot.

February 17, 1887. Rha Conklin bought the old cooper shop building at the corner of Jackson and Union street and moved his broom factory there.

February 5, 1889. The village bought a fire bell. Later this bell was used to call the council meeting until the practice was abolished in the early 1900s.

March, 1890. An ordinance was adopted prohibiting trains to travel more than 6 miles an hour in the village. Fine $50.

[DH & I railroad depot on Ann Arbor Hill. Note Blacksmith Shop and Union School in the background.]

April 24, 1891. Council ordered the windmill on Exchange place to be painted ... Later in the summer council approved locating a tank or reservoir to be placed on the west side of South road 22' from the L.S. & M.S. railway near the spring. It was 12' in diameter with a capacity of 225 barrels for fire protection . . . cost $42. Another reservoir was placed on E. Main Street near the Frank Spafard residence.

[DH & I railroad depot on Ann Arbor Hill, showing the freight depot.]

August 7, 1891. Council approved the German Day Celebration set for August 19, 1891. Committee for arrangements invited council to participate in the grand street parade and gave permission for the celebration committee to erect several arches across the streets of the village. Six special policemen were to be on duty August 19, and council ordered the village hail be decorated in honor of German Day.

Dutch Day, August 19, 1891, was a Silver Anniversary.

Jan. 29, 1892. We miss the street lamp that stood in front of the Goodyear House. Why don't the city fathers erect a tallow candle on Ann Arbor Hill and illuminate the whole town... The People's Bank received two sacks of small coins. They are one, two, three and five cent pieces and are for general circulation.

November 22, 1895, A. Freeman, who owned Goodyear House, asked council to remove the windmill (which he called barn yard fixture) from in front of Goodyear House. He offered to move the windmill to the rear of Goodyear House and said he would pipe the water from the well to a stone watering trough similar to those in other towns. He also offered to keep the windmill in repair as long as it was worth repairing.

December, 1897. Saturday being Christmas, the banks will be closed all day and will not be open Saturday evening. The post office will be closed from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and after 4 p.m. Some of the stores will be closed Saturday (Christmas) afternoon but doubt if any will be closed all day. Lewis Kueblet bought the brick store recently vacated by Lynch & Co. and will move his tin shop there. John Kensler moved his beanpicking establishment next to Amsdens—where the post office used to be located... The Stevens farm, about two and a half miles west of the village, which has been owned by Walker Bros. of Rochester, N.Y., was sold by their agent, T. J. Farrell, to Wm. H. Buss of Rogers Corners, Freedom. The place consists of 160 acres, 40 acres of which lies about a mile farther west. Selling price $40 per acre....

February 10, 1898. Rowe and Smith were advertising milk at 30 quarts of milk for $1.00, after that the price will be 4 cents a quart.

March 14, 1898. Box rent at the post office increased: after April 1st call boxes will be 20 cents a quarter, small lock boxes will be 35 cents, medium 40 cents and a large drawer fifty cents.

November 24, 1898, Manchester has eight firms selling dry goods, boots and shoes, ten selling stationery, 15 selling tobacco and cigars and 12 selling groceries.