Nine: Walton Home - Homecoming Not New

(This chapter division has been created for online presentation purposes and does not appear in the original.)

Walton Home in Centennial Story (Dr. Bessac)

The Twentieth Century Club entertained people whose birth dates are before the World War I period at a lawn party Tuesday, July 25, 1967, on the spacious lawn of the Thomas Walton home on West Main Street.

This was held in conjunction with the Sidewalk Sales where older folks could "stop a spell and sip lemonade and eat cookies." There were antiques on display and waitresses wore centennial costumes.

The Walton house has been selected as a "landmark" house by the Washtenaw County Historical Society. It was built in 1842, by Jabez Fountain. At that time it was a one-story structure. According to the historical account by Annetta English, Fountain was a wealthy flour mill owner. He wanted a home nicer than the one built by his rival, John D. Kief.

Four years later he sold to Dr. William Bessac. Dr. Bessac was born in Corsackie, New York, and graduated from Woodstock College, New York, 1835. He and his family moved to Michigan and settled first in Lima Center when he thought the Michigan Central Railroad was going through there. When he learned the railroad was to pass through Manchester he moved to the Walton home.

His daughter, Mary, married George Haeussler. George Haeussler and his son Raynor later owned the drug store, now known as Uphaus Drug. George's son, Raynor, built a home directly north of the Walton home where Mrs. Haeussler lives now.

After Dr. Bessac bought the Fountain home he added the second story. The Thomas Waltons bought the place in 1943. In 1949 they enlisted the help of the late Prof. Emil Lorch, former dean of the College of Architecture at the University of Michigan, to help them restore the old home.

It took over a year of work to preserve the interior framework. One bedroom on a west wing was removed. Historical accounts say "it was a fine old place with hand-wrought woodwork, three old fireplaces with andirons, which were made by hand."

The home has six graceful fluted columns with Roman Ionic caps. The maples in front of the house were set for Mrs. Fountain by George Greene Matthews, who brought them from the timberland near their farm.

Who Owns Manchester Hall?

Someone in the village recently remarked that there was some repair work going on at the village hall-and was quickly corrected by a longtime resident who insisted that the building of brick on Clinton Street is the Manchester Township Hall.

A plaque in the front of the building reads "Village Hall 1887." The village owns the building site. It is not on the tax roll of the township.

In the old council minutes of June 8, 1886, the council approved buying the George Nisle property—size 35 by 66 feet for $600 for the purpose of erecting a village hall or engine house. This resolution gave Nisle the privilege of removing any buildings on the premises. Money was taken from the village general fund to pay for the property.

By May 24, 1887, the council received a petition signed by 67 citizens asking that the building not be erected. This was tabled. But by July 19, 1887, the council appropriated $500 for the village hall.

There most have been some controversy over erection of the building if it were a joint venture, because in the local newspaper, dated
May 8, 1884, was this item: "It is probable that the township board will pay back to the village the $1,500 paid in toward the town hall. If they do it, goodbye town hall."

At various times in the minutes of the Village Council there were appropriations of money for the hall and on March 6, 1888, the council ordered a special committee to finish the hall.

In the township notes, Clayton Parr, supervisor, found that on May 26, 1883, the township considered submitting to the electors the question of raising tax money for obtaining a site and building a town hall and appointing a committee to select a site. By August 25, 1883, the township adopted a resolution to appropriate money for construction of a hall and defining and stating the rights of, and the interests of the village of Manchester if the hall were constructed. By November, 1883, the township transferred $900 from the town hall fund to purchase Lot 8 Block 3 on Clinton Street.

The repair bills for the hall go to the village.

This Village

Manchester is situated 22 miles from either Jackson or Ann Arbor. The population in 1960 was 1600 but it has been increasing. Unofficially it is about 1800. Austin Road runs east and west, becoming Main street in the heart of the village and connects with Jackson and Saline.

M-52 runs north to Chelsea and south to Adrian and other points in Ohio.

The big project underway now is an improvement program for the water system. A $275,000 revenue bond issue is under consideration. If approved, the bonds would be paid off in 25 years. This would also finance extensions of the present water main system to equalize pressure throughout the village. At this time a new $3,800 pump at the new well site is in operation.

Manchester's total budget for the year, as approved by council was $132,975.

Gale Koebbe, was the village's youngest president when he took office in 1966. This is his second one year term. Prior to that he had served three years on council.

The Community Fund and Red Cross Drive for 1966 hit an all-time high of $15,240.

This summer the voters approved a $650,000 bond issue to erect, furnish and equip a new elementary school. This involves acquiring additional land for the site and developing and improving it.

Other village officers working with Koebbe are: Lyle Widmayer, clerk; Edward R. Kirk, treasurer and councilmen, Basil McGuire, John Althouse, Herbert Mahony, Robert Lowery, James Bauer, and Al Gaige. Russell Widmayer is assessor.

There are two youth camps in the area: the Lithuanian Youth Camp about five miles west of the village and Hi Scope Camp south of Manchester.

The assessed valuation of Manchester is over two million dollars. Within the last two years a Planning Commission has been set up with Vilican and Leeman the consultants to cope with the expansion of the community.

Role in Sheep Production Recalled by Border Collie Show

Because of its importance in the Manchester area for more than a century, the sheep and lamb industry highlighted Saturday's Centennial Day, the final day of the Community Fair.

Despite the rainy weather, crowds gathered at the Athletic Field for both the afternoon and evening performances. The entire cost of the presentation was underwritten by the Union Savings Bank.

Arthur N. Allen of Perthshire Farms in McLeansboro, Illinois, presented the shows. He was a contest winner in official trials in border collie events from 1946 to 1962 and has been featured in events at the International Livestock Exposition at Chicago and other shows.

The border collie was developed to have a characteristic "eye," or the power to control sheep with its eyes.

Washtenaw County is the second largest wool producing county east of the Missouri River. For many years it was in first place. Washtenaw is the largest in the state in sheep production and for many years the Black Top Merino breeds were the most popular. They are heavy wool producers, but the synthetics on the market has decreased the demand for wool.

Today, according to the Washtenaw Agricultural Office, the largest single breed is the Corriedale. This breed is a good wool and meat producer. Lamb ranks less than 10 per cent of the red meat sale in the state.

The Manchester area has more sheep shearers than any other in the state. For more than a century men have been active in the Sheep Shearers Association. The four townships, Sharon, Manchester, Freedom and Bridgewater have for many years been large sheep producing areas.

For many years Manchester was a major shipping point for wool producers in the county. Pasture land in the area has been used extensively for sheep, and—according to Bob McCory of the Washtenaw Extension office—most farms used to have some sheep, flocks of 150 to 200 ewes along with other livestock.

Washtenaw ranks first in the state in lamb feeding and there are several with three or four thousand head of lambs. Some of these large feeding farms bring in lambs from southwest Montana and Wyoming.

Some of the big farmers include the Finkbeiners of Saline, Herbert, Gerald and Raymond Jacob of Sharon and the Harold Hannewald farm on the Jackson county line.

Mrs. Lawrence Boettner of Bridgewater is the state chairman of the "Make it yourself with Wool" program for the state. In this program, according to Bob McCory, the wool producers pay most of the promotion on lamb and wool. Although the price of wool has dropped to 35 cents a pound (a low for recent years) the government has an incentive payment so that the price to farmers is about 65 cents a pound. This is to keep flocks in production because wool is listed "as an item for national defense."

Iron Creek School

by Jane Palmer

The first board of school inspectors for Manchester township was appointed by the Township Board in May, 1837, and at that meeting nine school districts were set off to cover the entire township. On the board were John B. Crane, Thos. Stockwell, J. B. Case and Mr. Crane. Crane, chairman of the board, lived where Raymond Loucks lives. The next step was for a voter in each district to petition the board of school inspectors for permission to levy taxes, put up a schoolhouse and start a school. District 7 did this at the home of Richard Hall.

District 8 received its notice to start a school, April 15, 1844. Peter Van Winkle presented the petition and the meeting of all qualified voters was called at his home just east of the present house. The first school was built on Peter's land, south of the three corners on Ely Road. It must have been a small house for all the story tellers agree that the three older Alvord boys moved it one winter night while their elders were sleeping. They moved the building to the present site, still on Van Winkle's land. The family agreed to the site and it was never changed.

The road now known as Scully road, was laid out in 1844-45 making it easier for those living in the northeast section of the district to get to school and that was a good reason for the change.

The school was in full swing in 1845 with 42 scholars and $2.44 in public money that year. There is little known of the teachers. Albert D. English says that Arvilla Curtis taught the winter term of 1844-45 and some of the pupils were: Jane Alvord, Ann, John, Benjamin, Sarah, and Susan English, Eli, Henry, George and Almira Fisk, James and Joseph Cobb, George Pembroke and Albert Van De Walker, Caroline, Lois and Alvira Baldwin, Johnathan Holmes must have gone to that school for he told his grandson that he was nine when his parents settled in Iron Creek and he used to play with the Indian boys.

Records show that William Fisk and William Estabrook qualified as teachers in the township and it seems most likely that they taught in their own district. In 1860, Elizabeth Matthews taught for a short term at $1.50 a week. Ebenezer Davison was director and John Raby was assessor. Laura Green Row was a teacher and later Sarah English and Sarah Cochran. It is told that one morning when Sarah Cochran came down to the Creek she found the water over the road. Undaunted she removed shoes and stockings, plunged boldly into the raging flood and arrived promptly at her scene of duty.

Albert English told where a few of these people lived. The English family lived in a log house near where the English and Grossman roads meet. The Cobbs lived on the Raby place and kept house for Mr. Crane who was a bachelor. Mr. Van De Walker lived on the farm variously known as the Lancaster and the Coleman home. Originally it belonged to Emery Lowe (the surname pronounced with a short sound of o). The lake in that region is named for him.

There is a letter written by Hannah Dunham Van Winkle to her husband Peter. At that time he was starting his career in the ministry. She says not to mention it but Virgil doesn't want to go to school and she is troubled by this and ill health. She wishes he could come home for a few days. She does not want to complain and let nothing stand in the way of duty, but the "children want to see Pa awful much."

He came home and his family returned with him. Virgil never liked school and ran away and joined the army at 17, rather than speak a piece at rhetorical exercises. He was devoted to his mother and when he came to visit, always planned to arrive while the family was at church so he could visit with her all by himself.

Jacob Van Winkle built the school and the fine home of Richard Green on English road. Frances Van Winkle told about the family of Patrick Scully who lived on the hilltop in the old hotel. There were 10 children but their mother could keep them in line. Myrtie Holmes said they were great fun and she loved to go there. A daughter Rose became a teacher in this school. John Raby had no children but his young nieces grew up in his home and went to school. Maude Baldwin, daughter of Lyman and Teresa Baldwin taught at the Iron Creek school. The lovely young teacher died young and her old neighbors would say, "Maudie was a nice girl." The young Martins, Colemans, Van Valkenburghs, Galls, Witherell, Paynes were of this group. Others came and went. The school closed in 1952, and the place was made into a home.

The Carrs of Carr Park

Cornelius was the son of William and Mary Ann Rowley Carr. He was born in a log house which stood north of the barns on the homestead of the Parr family on Austin Road. William, and his brother Elijah Carr, were among the early settlers and owned a large tract of land including what is now Carr Park.

Leesons owned directly to the south. Recently the Leeson family gave several acres of land to be added to the park area. Directly south was the John Sanborn farm with a beautiful little one and a half story house with two wings, just alike. Painted white, it was snug and low and sheltered behind the big hill that separated it from Carrs.

According to a history by Miss Jane Palmer, the eldest Sanborn daughter was an object of interest to Cornelius and he and Nelly Sanborn were married. Nelly liked to sew and often fashioned her dresses with a basque and wide shoulder seams, collars and cuffs. She turned back the cuffs to work in the morning and donned a gingham apron. But in the afternoon, she liked white aprons with dainty hand made trimming.

The area, now Carr Park, had at one time two houses, a brick kiln and a cider mill. Cornelius didn't peruse the brick works and finally the equipment was moved out Union street along with the workmen, and the brick house at the end of the street was built by the Schaibles with their own brick. For years, Cornelius operated the cider mill, supplying the community with cider, vinegar and jelly in large earthen crocks.

Although the couple traveled and spent one winter in California they liked their own home best. The story is told that Mrs. Carr bought a lovely new hat for traveling and wore it several times before she discovered she wore it backwards. No one enjoyed the joke more than she did.

Because they had no children the couple planned to leave something to the community. Rumor is that they considered a hospital location but everyone feels sure they would approve of the popular playground area of Carr Park.

Miss Palmer writes, "Carr's was a delightful place with a garden and orchard and a lane across the marsh. The split rail fence had asparagus in the corners and they gathered morels in May. On the hill north of the marsh there is a little wild land where dogwood and witch hazel and wintergreen keep their secrets."

Passenger Pigeons

The passenger pigeons used to wing their way over Manchester as they migrated north to Nova Scotia and Quebec. Samuel Palmer, father of William and Jane Palmer, used to tell about seeing the last flight of the colony of birds in 1877 or 1878 which swooped over this area. The Ann Arbor public library also confirms the report and describes the last flight as being 28 miles long and 3 or 4 miles wide.

The sky was darkened by the dense mass of birds and a sound like a heavy wind. It swept across the sky like an immense narrow cloud, black as night and as Elsie Singmaster's book They Heard of a River reads, "It seemed to be as solid as the rocks themselves, yet portions appeared to
fly off and drift this way and that. They did not fall or separate permanently having fluttered into the clear air but fluttered back to be absorbed in the current which moved in no channel and had no bounds but those it set for itself-bewildered-confused... The birds journeyed by the millions... If a bird cheeped or cried the sound was lost in the concerted beat of wings as the birds followed the pilot birds."

Sam Palmer liked to watch and study nature and as his eyes followed the last of this huge black cloud of birds, he little dreamed that he would never see another flight of these strange feathered friends—now gone forever.

The passenger pigeon was handsome, about 16" long with a bluish grey head and back. Its underparts were reddish in the male and grey in females. They lived on seeds, berries and nuts. At one time they were the most numerous specie of bird in North America in the early 1870s. They were a game bird. A colony was reported to spend a year in Michigan in the 1870s. The birds went south to Kentucky and west to the eastern edge of the Great Plains. They wintered in Florida and Texas. What caused them to be wiped off the face of the earth so completely can only be theorized as disease or storms. The last passenger pigeon died in a Cincinnati zoo in 1904. It is interesting to include in this history, Samuel Palmer's account of the last flight of the passenger pigeon.

Samuel Palmer's parents were William H. and Esther Brownson Palmer. William was born in 1810 and his wife in 1812. They lived on what will be remembered as the John Buss farm on Austin Road before they built and moved to their home on Herman Road in 1853. Their families came from New York State. Sam was born in 1841 and died in 1917.

His wife, the former Frances Van Winkle, died in 1921. Two of their children, a daughter and a son; Jane Palmer and William Palmer and his wife, Laura, live on the homestead.

Marx & Marx

Christian Marx, Austin Yocum and Dennis Torrey were partners in the store now occupied by the Gamble store, when they first went into business in 1896. The following year, 1897 they moved to the present location which had been occupied by Mack & Schmid. The store had been built the year before by Nathan Schmid and it was planned for a Dry Goods store. Nat Schmid and his family lived on the second floor which had been built for living quarters.

After the first year they decided to sell to Yocum Marx & Co. who carried a line of ladies coats, fur muffs, dresses, piece goods, footwear and a full line of dry goods.

Yocum Marx & Co. (left to right) J. D. Torrey, clerk Kramer, C. O. Marx and Austin Yocum. Picture was taken in the early 1900s.

Later they rented the store just east, where Widmayer's Furniture store is located and opened a men's furnishing store. They built an archway between the stores. Myron Silkworth and Lester Blaisdeli were put in charge of the men's store. Later LeRoy Marx and Clair Riedel ran the clothing store.

About 1918 the next store east (now the Way Bakery) was bought from J. Fred Schaible who ran a grocery store. An archway was put in between the men's store and the grocery. It was the practice of the store to put on a general sale twice a year—in January and July, discounting everything in the building at least 20 per cent. This practice has been continued to the present time.

Now the Marx & Marx store is between Walt Schaible's Men's store and Widmayer Furniture and is operated by Waldo and Ruth Marx.

Two business houses on Main Street still carry the names of early merchants. They are Widmayer Hardware and Marx & Marx.

Widmayer Hardware

Herbert Widmayer has followed in the footsteps of his father and operates the Widmayer Hardware store on West Main. His father, the late Fred Widmayer, was born in Adrian and came to Manchester with his parents, the George Widmayers after the Civil War. They lived on the present William Grossman farm south of town first. Then the family moved to the Wm. Weinhardt farm in Sharon before coming to the village to live.

Fred Widmayer started his career in the hardware business in 1882. He worked for Charles Norton in the building now occupied by the Gamble Store. That same year the business was sold to J. H. Kingsley who moved the hardware store across the street to the brand new brick building known as the Rehfuss & Kapp block which they had just completed. Widmayer went into business for himself in 1892 in that same location and stayed until 1930. This building is owned by D. E. Limpert and is located next to the present Widmayer Hardware.

Then the Widmayer Hardware moved across the street to the building now occupied by Widmayer Furniture.

Widmayers bought the old Bessac store, razed it, and put up a new building on the location of their present store. March 12, 1941 Fred Widmayer and two of his sons, Herbert and Rolland, held grand opening in their new hardware store. The occasion marked Fred's 59th year in business and was also the occasion of his 81st birthday. Fred's wife, the former Emma B. Fausel had died December 10, 1939. Mr. Widmayer passed away in 1950. Herbert and his wife, Isabel, operate the hardware store and across the street the widow of Rolland Widmayer has the furniture store. Herbert recalls that his uncle Bill Widmayer, who worked in the store, used to say, "We do everything—from the top of the chimney to the bottom of the well."

Centennial Day at the Fair 1967

A dance with standing room only wrapped up the Centennial Celebration Saturday, August 26th in the exhibit tent on the Athletic Field as Manchester concluded its 18th annual Community Fair.

A mile-and-a-half long parade kicked off the Community Fair Tuesday night, August 22. Leading the parade was Manchester's oldest resident, Carl Wuerthner, 93, a former president of the village.

In activities at the fair grounds, Sue Swartz, 16, the daughter of Superintendent of Schools and Mrs. Robert Swartz was named fair queen.

A senior at Manchester High School, Sue was one of 12 candidates selected by her classmates to compete for the title before school let out for the summer. She was crowned by Deneine Steele, last year's queen.

Runners-up were Sally Barber, 16, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Barber, and Kay Walter, 13, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Donald Walter.

Awarded first place in parade float competition was the Manchester High School's class of '69 entry "Happy Birthday," honoring Manchester's centennial celebration.

Other winners were: "Centennial Ride," entered by the class of '70, second; "Time to Celebrate," entered by the jolly Farmerettes 4-H group, third; and "A Busy Affair," Manchester High School class of '71, fourth.

In the decorated bicycle competition, prizes were awarded to: Janet Popkey, Thomas Blossom, Marty Fielder, Vicki Wurster, Grace Day, Lee Pauken, Terry Pauken, and Pamela Jose.

The parade high school band was under the direction of R. C. Sortor.

As usual the high school senior class had charge of the food tent and reportedly did an exceptionally big business.

Steer Lamb Sale

Twenty-two steers and 42 lambs were auctioned Thursday night under the lights at the Fair with the Grand Champion steer bringing 80 cents a pound and Grand Champion lamb bringing $2.06 a pound. The animals had been judged on Wednesday by John Comstock, Lenawee Extension agent.

David Pratt, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ellis Pratt, was the owner of the Grand Champion steer which weighed 1125 pounds and brought 80 cents a pound when sold to Jay Lantis of the Manchester IGA store.

The champion lamb, owned by Jim Bruestle, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Bruestle, weighed 104 pounds. It was bought and reauctioned by the Manchester Division of the Hoover Ball & Bearing Co. Hoover' donated it for reauction and the second time around Hoover Ball bought it again, this time at $1.05 a pound, and the proceeds went to the Jaycees, sponsors of the Lamb Club.

Other winners in steers:

The Reserve Champion, owned by Lyndon Uphaus, weighed 1080 pounds and was bought by Hoover Ball for 60 cents a pound.

The Runnerup Reserve Champion, owned by Sandra Walter, was bought by Ray Kerr of Manchester for 57 cents a pound.

In Showmanship: first place, Lynn Niehaus; second place, Doug Keasal; third place, Gary Walter.

Winners in lambs:

The Reserve Champion, owned by Linda Hoeft, weighed 107 pounds, and was bought by Klager Hatchery for $1.50 a pound.

The runner-up was owned by Leslie Kopka, weighed 100 pounds, and was bought by Manchester Tool & Die for & $1.25 a pound.

Highest Rate of Gain winner was Ruth Curtis. Her two lambs gained 106 pounds.

In Showmanship, Jim Bruestle placed first in the senior class, and Linda Hoeft was in second place. In the junior class, Bill Merriman was first, and Ross Haeussler was second place winner.

Dale Heselschwerdt of Napoleon Livestock was the auctioneer for the livestock auction.

Optimist Steer Club

The steer calves were purchased by a committee of Optimist Club members and fathers of Steer Club members and were allotted by a drawing to the boys and girls. The financing is arranged by the Union Savings Bank with the notes endorsed by members of the Manchester Optimist Club. All profits from the sale go to the club members.

The steers were purchased in November 1966 from Elmer Rohroback and were insured.

Working on the Optimist Steer Committee with chairman Norman Buckholtz were Earl Mann and Tom Walton with assistance from Maynard Blossom, vocational-agricultural teacher, and Dr. H. P. Eames.

Special awards to Steer Club members were donated by Grossman-Huber, L. V. Kirk Electric and Tom Marshall, Inc.

The Union Savings Bank was host to Steer Club members, their fathers and buyers at last year's sale at a noon luncheon Thursday, August 24 at Emanuel Church Hall.

Jaycee Fat Lamb Club

This was the third year for the Jaycee Fat Lamb Club. The lambs were purchased and delivered to all members in May. They were all vaccinated and shorn before they were given to the members. All profits go to the lamb owners.

Providing the special awards were: Manchester Plastics, Manchester Ready Mix, and Tirb Chevrolet.

The money from the two club lambs go to operate the Lamb Club. The Manchester IGA and Hoover Ball have bought the club lambs every year. It should be noted that Elmen Kopka gave the first ewe lamb for two years to be used as a means of starting the Lamb Club. Each of the 20 members have two lambs. Co-chairmen this year were Jim Lyon and Stan Poet.

Centennial Contests Saturday

REPRODUCTIONS of Centennial Costumes: 1. Mrs. Carl Schwab, 2. Mrs. Glen Bertke, 3. Mrs. George Dobner.

ORIGINALS: 1. Monica Kirk, 2. Mrs. Eugene Schuman, 3. Mrs. Larry Wright

BEST MEN'S COSTUME: 1. Bill Wilson

BEST CHILDREN'S REPRODUCTION: Debbie Blossom & Bernadette Fielder

BEST COUPLE'S REPRODUCTION: Mr. and Mrs. Richard Scott

BEST FAMILY: Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Schneider and family

CHILDREN'S ORIGINAL: 1. Larry Lee Wright, 2. Lisa Culp

Co-chairmen were Mrs. Ray Tirb and Mrs. Clarence Schaible. Judges were: Mrs. H. C. Ayres, Ann Arbor; Mrs. Arlene Ousterhout, Tecumseh, Mrs. Stanton Roesch, Mrs. Edwin Haeussler and Mrs. Richard Clark.

Judging of the Beards

Mutton chops – Jim Kress; Van Dyke – Webb Seegert; Most handsome – John Culp; Reddest – Paul Schilling; Blackest – Duane Kuebler; Most original – Guy Gilbert; Ugliest (3 winners) – Raymond Jacob Jr., Lorenz Wackenhut and Lowell Bishop; Fullest (3 equal) – Dr. D. M. Petersen, Lorenz Wackenhut and Lowell Bishop; Grand-daddy of them all – Carl Cole. Judge was Ernest Dascola of Ann Arbor.

NAIL DRIVING (20 penny spikes were driven into 4 x 4s of hard oak) 60 contestants – 1. Erwin Buss (13.3 seconds), 2. Vern Leach (14.5 seconds), 3. Ken Miley (15.5 seconds). Best young nail driver – Charles Schaible.

CROSS CUT SAW (elm log 1 foot diameter) – 1. L. Dean Sodt & Floyd Parr (36 seconds), 2. Ron Kuhl & Erwin Buss (46.4), 3. Luther Schaible & Earl Horning (55.2).

Golden Wedding Anniversaries

Among those who celebrated golden wedding anniversaries this year were:

Mr. and Mrs. Frederick E. Feuerbacher, Jan. 16, 1917
Mr. and Mrs. Wallace Widmayer, Jan. 24, 1917
Mr. and Mrs. Ray A. Haselschwerdt, March 4, 1917
Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Frey, Sr., April 14, 1917
Mr. and Mrs. Theo. Blumenauer, Feb. 14, 1917
Mr. and Mrs. Carl Schwab, Aug. 22, 1917
Mr. and Mrs. Herman Schwab, October 22, 1917.

Talent Show Winners

1. Cathy & Jim Schneider (drum & organ); 2. Jean Pfaus (piano); 3. Becky Feldkamp (piano). Judges were Grace Stierle and Mary Ellen Graden of Saline. Co-chairmen of the talent show were Mrs. Wm. Tervo and Mrs. Ralph W. England.

Cooking School at the Fair

The 26th annual cooking school was held in the new high school auditorium and was sponsored by L. V. Kirk in conjunction with the Consumers Power Co. and Detroit Edison. Prize winners were: Mrs. Viola Wells, Ann Arbor; Mrs. Harold Eiseman of Chelsea; Mrs. Lawrence Paul of Brooklyn; Mrs. Birdella Flood, Mrs. James Pratt, Mrs. Marilyn Lamb, Mrs. Patricia Miller, Mrs. Mildred Guenther and Ellen M. Kuebler all of Manchester.

Officers of the Community Fair for 1967: president, Ted Stautz; vice president, Jesse Walker; treasurer, Lehman Wahl; and secretary, Maynard Leach. Also on the board are Lowell Spike, Lawrence Kemner, Ellis Pratt, Willis Hassett, Willis Uphaus, Maynard Blossom, Herman Kuebler, Elmen Kopka, Paul Eisele, Ted Curley and Ron Mann.

Homecoming Not New

With Manchester's famous chicken broil and homecoming now an annual event it is interesting to learn that homecomings are nothing new to the community. The first one was held Wednesday, Aug. 27, 1910. The Manchester Enterprise account said it far exceeded expectations and was pronounced a "grand success." Citizens kept open house all day and welcomed friends home "in good old-fashioned style."

"The examiners opened at 9 a.m. with a reception on public square, band music and a welcome by A. J. Waters, an address by W. W. Wedemeyer, and a former townsman Hugo Kirchhofer sang Auld Lang Syne and The Sword of Bunker Hill.

"All Homecomers registered and received a souvenir badge at headquarters tent which was in charge of James Kelly and R C. Merithew. Over 400 registered and 600 badges were passed out."

There was a band concert on Haeussler's lawn in the afternoon. This is now the Thomas Walton residence. Boos conducted the concert.

A ball game between Tecumseh and Manchester drew a huge crowd and another band concert in the evening on the east side of the river was dubbed one of the finest the villagers ever heard.