FFA


By dhowell - Posted on 02 January 2008

The FFA, agricultural organization was added in the fall of 1931.

The Union School served from 1867 to 1935 before it was taken down and replaced by a new structure, now known as the junior High. The application for the replacement high school was granted on September 22, 1935 for a cost of $60,622.10. This was a WPA project. At that time Dr. L. C. Kent was president of the School Board of Education. About 800 people graduated from the Union School and the school bell which summoned them was given to the war scrap drive. The new school which replaced it was dedicated in 1935.

The Manchester Public School System expects an enrollment of 1200 students for the 1967-68 school year. These students are housed in four modern and well maintained buildings. A large high school addition was completed in June of this year. This new addition consists of two new science laboratories, a large study-auditorium, five classrooms, additional gym locker and shower facilities, a new band room, administrative offices and a language-speech laboratory. Other buildings within the system include the Intermediate Building, housing the junior high school students, the Nellie Ackerson Elementary Building and the Pleasant Lake Elementary Building. The School District approved a new elementary building at the last annual school election, and this facility is expected to be completed sometime next year. This building will contain twelve new classrooms, an all purpose room, a small library, a kindergarten room, and several other elementary facilities.

The Manchester School District encompasses 125 square miles. Approximately 85% of the students are transported in the system's bus fleet. There are 56 professional staff members and 24 non-certificated employees. A new salary schedule negotiated in May places the Manchester teachers' salaries in a comparable position with the schedules of other Michigan districts.