Ford Plant


By dhowell - Posted on 02 January 2008

In 1937, the Ford Motor Company began construction of its small parts plant on the bank of the Raisin River at the east village limits. This was the site of the old Premium Mill.

Within two years the plant started production and gave a real boost to the village. During the war the peak employment reached 500.

Later, in 1957, the Ford Motor Co. moved the operation to its Rawsonville Plant. About six years ago the empty Ford Plant here was sold to Ray Thornton, an inventor. It is being used as an experimental station for car equipment.