Warehouse


By dhowell - Posted on 03 January 2008

Lake Shore Depot

The warehouse itself was built in 1856, and became combined freight house and New York Central passenger station. Oak lumber from the farm of the grandfather of the late Byron Hall was used in the construction of the sturdy warehouse. These solid 10 inch square beams are about 60 ft. long and were pinned together.

There are those, today, who remember the 30-foot ramp which rose from ground level to the top of the building. There teams of horses tugged heavy loads of grain to the top where it was unloaded onto hand carts which ran along steel tracks between two rows of storage bins. The 16 bins are of 2 x 6s of solid oak laid flat.

The ramp is long gone but the bins which hold 1,600 bushels can be seen at the warehouse. The late Fred Widmayer used to tell his son Herbert how the farmers butchered hogs in the winter and brought them frozen to the freight house. They'd be stacked like concrete blocks until there were enough for a shipment. Not very rigid meat inspection in those days!